Monday, August 4, 2008

ABC's on the A train



Last night I was coming home on the A train after work. It was rush hour and there were a ton of people crammed into the poorly-air conditioned space. I was so exhausted from the day that I kept doing that thing where you nod off and then your head jerks around a bit and hits the person next to you. I was barely able to keep my eyes open until two little African American kids across from me, maybe 4 and 3 years old, began singing the ABC song. In their squeaky little-kid voices, they would sing the entire song but when they would get to the end where it says "next time won't you sing with me" they couldn't remember what the words were, so they would just start the song over. After the seventh or eight time around, everyone in the train car was cracking up! It was awesome how two innocent little kids helped everyone forget that we were all crammed together, claustrophobic and tired-beyond belief. It was such a perfect moment.

For the last two days, my friend Dennis and I have been driving non-stop across the city. Yesterday we drove all the way out to long island and Queens. The ocean was beautiful and I've never seen so many amazing scenic spots in my life. It's funny because when you think of New York, you think about the millions of buildings in Manhattan, but you forget that the ocean is right there as well and that there are so many residential areas in the boroughs. It felt really good to smell the salt water while we drove down the highway with the windows down. I forgot how great it feels to have the Atlantic ocean nearby.




Today I woke up early and Dennis and I drove out to Greenpoint, Brooklyn to look at an apartment that had a room open. A girl from the showroom at work told me her boyfriend was looking for a roommate. He emailed me and we went to see the apartment today. It is awesome!! The room is small but it's just right for my situation (considering I don't even have any furniture!) It is very clean and the two people who live there are quiet, artsy and very respectful. The apartment is about 5 minutes from the subway stop and 10 minutes away from Williamsburg. It will be so great to live in a good neighborhood with people my own age! SO...I move in on September 1st. Whoohoo!! It is such a relief to know that I will have a roof over my head in three weeks.

After the apartment, Dennis dropped me off and I took the subway to Greenwich Village and SoHo. I did pretty well, as far as not getting lost goes. I walked up town a little bit to Washington Square Park because I wanted to see where a scene from When Harry Met Sally (my favorite movie) was shot. It was surreal standing there! I realized, after standing by that huge arch and after talking to Dennis, that New York is one of the few places in the United States where you walk around and feel like there is SO much history around you. When I went to Italy last year, I was overwhelmed because we were surrounded by so many old buildings and statues. It made me feel like we were seriously lacking here in the states. However, NYC is one of the most historical cities in the states and I really felt it today while I walked around by myself.








Okay..I need to go to sleep. I am seriously tired. The commuting and walking really takes a lot out of you, but you don't notice it until you get home and lay in bed. Still trying to deal with the blisters and feet throbbing.

2 comments:

MrsKatherineA said...

Sounds like a great new place Tara! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Its Daisy. You have a very lovely blog and its fun to read about NYC, its one of my favorite cities in the world. I wish I could go to soho and greenwich and central park.. aww :) Well good luck in your endevours.

Related Posts with Thumbnails