Tuesday, January 6, 2009

So this is the new year...

I really wanted to make a blog post on January 1st but things have been so non-stop and strange that I completely forgot about my blog! I wonder if I can somehow change the date on this thing...haha...

The new year started off to an odd one. I was expecting to breathe a huge breath of fresh-newyear-air, but instead I inhaled unfamiliar, overwhelming, weird air that didn't seem to promote the kind of change you hope for the night prior to January 1st when you create your new year's resolutions.

I've been here for five months now. Although they have gone by very quickly, a lot has happened in my life and in the lives of those near and far to me, too. While friends and family have been shuffling in and out of our apartment for the last few weeks, I have realized that the general consensus in my mind is that we are supposed to change for the better as we get older, wiser, more experienced in life. However, that isn't the case for all of us. Yes, some of us begin to learn more about ourselves and who we are as individuals, some of us stay the same because we're still unsure about what we want in life, some move in the opposite direction of where you'd hope we'd move and some of us strive for what we THINK is the right path but isn't. It was a difficult New Year's Revelation...but a necessary one.

My resolutions for 2009 differ in intensity and seriousness. Of course I have the typical "I'm going to go to the gym more, I'm going to try to budget my money more efficiently, I'm going to find a new hobby, etc etc." But in all seriousness, I really want to use 2009 to get to know myself a bit better...which I began doing during the tail end of '08. I want to work on how I handle new situations. Maybe I need to stop being so naive. I want to be more open with how I feel, whether I'm doing it verbally or via blog. I want to figure out the things that I am truly passionate about and develop those things into something more substantial. I guess I am on a little quest for meaning and knowledge this year (but who isn't?)....and I think that NYC is the perfect place to do it at this point in my life.

Wishing you all the best in 2009.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails